Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The struggle on studying GRE (verbal section)

For you that interested to pursue graduate study, maybe you've heard about Graduate Record Examination, abbreviated as GRE. GRE test usually comes as a requirement in the admission process in a university. GRE comprises three sections, quantitative (math), verbal, and analytic. For most international student, specifically
those whose native languange is not English like me, the verbal section is the most difficult part. When I tried to look the sample question of the verbal section for the first time I was like, "What the hell these word mean ????" Even I didn't have clue to guess the meaning of such words.Since then I bought a GRE practice book and try to study the verbal section exercises. The exercise is simple, there are many word list from A-Z included with the explanation and example use of the word in a complete sentence. In the beginning, I was in full spirit to read the word list. But after several weeks, I found that it's boring..And since I felt it bored me, it's difficult to memorize the meaning of the words. I'm just curious whether there are any other method to learn this thing. It's important because the verbal section is my main weakness. Hope I can beat myself and try to force myself learn the verbal section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree! I was preparing for the test few weeks ago, and the verbal test is killing me. I borrowed a Princeton's GRE Crack Book who gave some tricks to deal with the verbal sections. But for the most time, the tricks just don't work until you know the meaning of the words given. I tried one of the tips to memorize the words : made flash cards. Each card is a little piece of paper with the word on one side and the meaning on the other side. I carried them for couple days, trying to memorize all the words, and then I got bored..

So, keep on struggling! :p