Sunday, June 15, 2014

Bad News and "Good" News

Let's start with the bad news first. My potential PhD advisor, Yejin Choi is leaving from SBU to UW. In the beginning of the Spring semester, I was planning to work in summer with her.  But when I tried to contact her again at the end of the semester, her reply really shocked me. She is moving out. I was freezed for several seconds, can't believe what I've just read and start thinking is there any good reason to stay here. I mean, one of the main reasons I came to SBU was  Yejin Choi. And unfortunately, she is the only NLP faculty in CS department. So currently, there is no Prof. in NLP area at all. 

Ok, move on to the "good" news. Last semester, I passed all three qualifier courses. That was quite surprising as I didn't expect that at all. I really hate some quals as I need to study something I don't like and I have to secure A grades for those. And don't get me wrong, to get an A is not easy at all. Honestly, sometimes it's painful. Jesus Christ, why do we need to do this kind of thing for PhD in the US hahaha. However, I was relatively patient last semester, I studied really hard for the exams and somehow I aced  the exams.  So, am I proud that I've cleared three quals? The answer is NO. I've spent one year here and still no research work, and yes I have to clear another two quals next semester. One year is somehow wasted.


1 comment: